Saturday 4 September 2021

Plymouth to Salcombe

The Mewstone off Plymouth Sound at dawn on Saturday 4th September.

Despite repeated trips to the Loo (the most annoying consequence of advancing years) during the night, following the meet-up with George the previous evening, I got up as soon as the alarm went off at 0500. 

A quick look at the weather on the 'Windy' App, confirmed no change in the previous day's forecast - i.e. North Easterlies then veering East around midday. Salcombe was therefore doable if I got my skates on and made the most of the North Easterlies. I should be able to get a few miles South of Bolt Head on one tack before commencing a beat into Salcombe.

I said a quick goodbye to George who was up and very pleased with himself having succeeded in getting doggie to poo on a section of astro turf acquired especially for the purpose and headed down the Cattwater. George had to call after me to turn my navigation lights on - LOL!

Apart from a gentle short day trip down the Algarve coast last year, this was my first opportunity to sail Bonny on my own. Having had various pairs of hands helping manage the boat over the last 3 months, I was a little apprehensive about how I would manage. Although only 3 feet longer than Arctic Smoke, she feels a lot bigger.  However, I soon got into the swing of things. We left George and 'Good Report' in a flat calm, but within 40 minutes and still inside the outer breakwater, we were sailing in a strengthening North Easterly breeze, in a generally, South Easterly direction. We continued close hauled on the Starboard tack on a heading of around 140° making good progress at around 5 knots until about 0930 when after 15 miles and about 6 miles South South West, of Bolt Head, we commenced our beat towards the mouth of Salcombe Harbour. Progress towards our destination was now drastically curtailed - despite still sailing 4-5 knots over the ground (against a foul tide) our average 'velocity made good' (progress towards the destination) was probably down to an average of 2 knots. It was 1250 before we made the bar at the Harbour entrance and commenced motoring up the harbour. The tide was now flooding and pushing us in. We had plenty of water over the bar and there was no sign of the viscious seas that can build up when the wind is against an ebbing tide.

We continued up the harbour. The Harbour Master (or one of his team) came over in a launch to ask if we wanted a mooring. I didn't. I wanted to Anchor and he confirmed that was OK in the upper reaches of the harbour.

I let go the Anchor at 1330. A very pleasant spot...

The town in the distance is Kingsbridge.  It's possible to get up there by boat at high water, but at low water, between our position and there is mud or very shallow water at best.


No comments:

Post a Comment