Monday 5 July 2021

Day 4 at sea - July 4

I was therefore sound asleep when Mick called me for my Watch at 1400. Whilst it was a very rude awakening, I had slept well.

The boat was still sailling well making around 5 knots and on course for Madeira.

After an hour or so the AIS warned me of a potential collision with a tanker converging with us from the South East. I called him up on the VHF to check that he was aware of us. He was 8 miles off and said he could see us but was not receiving an AIS transmission. That was surprising because with the Antenna at the top of the mast I expected it to be received way before our lights would be visible.

Dawn broke shortly afterwards...

Mick got up around 0930 and I went below for snooze! At times during the day - which was warm and sunny - the wind was quite fresh and we made 6 knots, at others it was light and our speed reduced to less than 4 knots.

Dolphins paid us a visit after lunch - small spotted ones about 20.

I cooked dinner based on the remains of Mick's curry. Then an early night for me at 1900. I slept well once again.

Progress remained fair during the night, fluctuating as it had during the day but slower over all.

No comments:

Post a Comment