Monday 23 August 2021

'Visitors'; and a 'bit of a Blow' (9th Day/Night at sea, to dawn on 20/8)

The above is, I'm afraid, the only image I managed to capture of, possibly, hundreds of dolphins that came to say "hello" to us this afternoon. They kept our company for almost an hour and performed their usual dare-devil stunts around the bow of the boat. I even saw a calf join in - it kept up with its adult minder with apparent ease - as they both darted backwards and forwards across the bow. They all sliced theough the water at speed without appearing to make the slightest effort and it seemed like they were all simply showing off and having fun.

Further away others occasionally leapt clean out of the water as they raced towards us. They came from multiple directions at the same time and so it appeared that we had sailed into a very large social gathering. Then, off in a couple of different directions I could see the surface foaming with numerous dolphins churning up the sea. In one of the closer disturbances I saw fish jumping out of the water and at least one sea bird make off with a prize! The dolphins were clearly hunting and presumably it was this, that has brought them together in such large numbers. 

Earlier, on completing my Watch at 0700, I returned to my bunk for more sleep. I normally do for a couple of hours, but this time having slept so badly during the night, I stayed in bed until my next Watch at midday!

Around 1700 we decided we could head directly for The Lizard without an excessive risk of ending up in the clutches of the high pressure zone (no wind) lurking in the Bay of Biscay. This required dispensing with the pole used to gooswing the genoa and then gybing the boat.

A little earlier we had received a message from Ian warning us of 25k winds forecast for our area in the morning. Nothing to worry about especially as they will be from the south but we will put a reef in before dark in preparation.

Well we did put a reef in and then another and the another! By MIDNIGHT the wind was whistling through the rigging, the mainsail waa reefed right down and nearly half the genoa was furled and we were hurtling through near zero visability in driving rain at 7 knots. It took some time to set up the sails and vane so that the boat would steer herself but eventually by around 0200 we got things sorted. 

Agustin and I and then just me, took the first Watch and Mick took over around 0500. At the end of his Watch at 0700, he reported that the wind may be moderating and that he had just experienced the heaviest rain ever at sea! Agustin said that from his berth on the quarter, it sounded like a road drill being used on deck!  I must have slept through it all because I didn't hear a thing.

TBC...


No comments:

Post a Comment